Thursday 5 February 2009

Digital identity

Without knowing it, I have a digital identity online and offline in loads of different places. Some are just copies of one another but also contain very personal data about me that I might or might not want to be shown and be accessible all over the web.
At birth, I have a birth certificate with my parents, my birth would be recorded in the hospital system but also in the government system. The government hold data for everyone who was born, or lives in the UK and recently, some of this personal data was lost and there was a huge scandal about it as the government also lost the data for hundreds of prisoners. I then had my passport data recorded and I have my passport swiped and recorded every time I go on a flight and that is on several systems: the airport computers, the police and the microchip inside the passport. Every day, I am recorded on CCTV cameras as the police are constantly monitoring every thing on buses, tubes and in the streets. This is slightly worrying as you are constantly being watched and it seems like a '1984' situation, where everyone is being watched by 'The Thought police'. I am also being tracked on my Oyster card, so every journey I make can be monitored. All this information is being held about me can paint a vivid picture of me and what I do. My information is also willingly submitted to school and doctors as they each take a record of everything that I say in relevant areas.
I put myself on the web in several ways: this blog is a form of online digital identity to give me an online presence but also to let myself be found by others who want to; I have three email addresses and google mail allows access to many other stuff as there is a social network that no one realized about; I have a facebook, msn and google account, which are all social network services.
So all of this, online and offline, is my digital identity and much more information about me can be found on the web than I realized or wanted there to be.
This could cause problems such as identity fraud or people stalking you. Because there is so much information about me on the web, if someone got hold of this there could be severe consequences such as someone pretending to be me on a site such as twitter as there is a very real example of this here.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2008/dec/03/twitter-digitalmedia

No comments:

Post a Comment